Click a thumbnail to enlarge it
Click a thumbnail to enlarge it
- 1/2" Thick
- Chipped edges, small craters.
- Variations in thickness, flatness, size, squareness.
- Have occasional cracks and occasional animal tracks on the surface.
- Variety of color between tiles and within individual tiles.
The name Saltillo Tile is derived from the city of Saltillo in Mexico, where the clay used to make Saltillo tiles is an abundant natural resource found only in this region of Mexico. The Saltillo Clay has been used for centuries to make Saltillo Tiles, it is greatly appreciated by those who like the atmosphere of warm Mediterranean and Mexican Hacienda style homes. The process of creating Saltillo Tiles is an old-world tradition of making tiles by hand, which is preserved and continues to this day. The sheets of clay are pressed, molded, and then sun-air dried before being fired in kilns. The clay and the process gives saltillo tile a unique, random, natural look which is what makes saltillo tiles so popular. Raw saltillo tiles can appear rather plain, but after installation, grouting, and sealing they are very attractive, easy to maintain and will virtually last forever.
All Saltillo tiles must be sealed in order to preserve their beauty. We recommend to use a high quality penetrating sealer such as 511 Impregnator or 511 Porous Plus from Miracle Sealants Company
511 Porous Plus is a penetrating sealer designed for the protection of the most porous surfaces. 511 Porous Plus forms an invisible barrier that is resistant to moisture and stains while allowing vapor to escape. 511 Porous Plus is not a surface coating and will not alter the natural look. All surfaces are harder and less slippery. Therefore, 511 Porous Plus is highly recommended for all our Mexican terra-cotta floor tiles.
Each of our Mexican Regular Saltillo tiles is handcrafted and unique. For Satillo tile to be called authentic "Saltillo tile" must be made in Saltillo Mexico and with clay from the surrounding area. This clay used to make Saltillo tiles can only be found in this part of Mexico. The tiles are made from clay dug out of the ground and fired to a temperature at which the clay undergoes chemical changes and becomes permanently hard. Saltillo tiles are hand made and fired a low temperatures giving them a rustic and warm finish, and making them attractive and very popular. Super Saltillo tiles are distinguished for their rounded edges in comparison to regular Saltillo tiles which have squared edges.
• All residential and medium use industrial flooring.
• Outdoor use in areas where freezing temperatures are not common. Tiles are not frost proof.
• Moist areas where tiles are not submerged in water.
• Tiles and grout must be sealed with a penetrating sealer that will form an invisible barrier resistant to moisture and stains.
• Outdoor use is subject to climate conditions and method of installation.
• Not recommended on outdoor installations with potential freezing temperatures.
||Unsealed natural clay
||V4 - Substantial Variation
||Sanded grout if joint is greater than 1/4 in.
||Use 511 Porous Plus
• For a comparison of variation and crazing degrees refer to Variation Details.
Tiles per Square foot:
||Number of tiles
• Industry standard recommends adding on 5-10% additional tile to account for waste, special cuts, or other unforeseen problems. It is recommended to revise measurements and tile quantities with an expert installer.
Care and Considerations:
• Clean with mild cleanser and damp cloth, do not use abrasive cleaners.
• For Installation Recommendations refer to our Installation Guide.
No matching colors at the moment